Saturday, December 27, 2008

New Year's Resolution

I got the idea from Demetri Martin. In his show "if i," he talks about making a personal inventory to track his worth as a human being. He allows himself points for learning new things, eating right, and generally being a good person. He deducts points for various life failures, which I suppose could be different things for different people (in fact, I'm counting on it).

So this is my New Year's Resolution. I will make a personal scorecard for my daily life and assess my performance on a day-to-day, week-to-week, and month-to-month basis. I'll give myself points for working out, eating right, doing well in school, happily doing chores around the house, etc. I'll deduct points for wasting time, not walking my dogs, and getting into petty arguments with my wife about meaningless stuff. Everything will begin January 4th, the first Sunday of the new year. I'll spend the meantime making up my scorecard and designing the rules for my little life game. Sometime between now and then I'll post an example card and explain the rules of the game. Then, if all goes according to plan, I'll post the results once a week. Hopefully blogging about my quest will keep me honest and participating in the challenge.

More later. I'm off to work on my categories!

No comments:

Post a Comment